Range Safety Rules Rockcut Shooting Club
Rifle and Handgun Range Rules
ALL MEMBERS AND GUESTS MUST REGISTER IN THE LOG BOOK
(With first name and last initial, or membership number)
WHENEVER TWO OR MORE CLUB MEMBERS USE THESE FACILITIES AT THE SAME TIME, ONE OF THEM MUST ASSUME THE RESPONSIBILITY AS RANGE OFFICER AND ENSURE COMPLIANCE WITH THE FOLLOWING RULES BY ALL SHOOTING MEMBERS.
- The club facilities shall be available to club members and their guests on such days and at such times that shall be determined by the club executive from time to time.
- No level of impairment will be tolerated on or around the firing line. Including, but not limited to, impairment from; alcohol, prescription drugs, recreational drugs, fatigue or stress.
- Dependent members MUST be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times.
- Sponsors are responsible for their guests at all times while on club property.
- No smoking, food, or drink will be permitted on the firing line at any time during a course of fire. Also conversations and distractions from other sources such as cell phones, cameras, or other devices should be kept to a minimum.
- Red flags must be flown at all times that the range is active.
- The range officer must be obeyed at all times while on the range.
- Eye and ear protection must be worn at all times by persons on or around the firing line.
- Ear protection must be worn by all persons on the range while firing is in progress.
- Loaded firearms are permitted on the firing line only, as directed by the range officer.
- No person will be permitted to enter or leave the firing line during a course of fire.
- No person will be allowed in front of the firing line without the permission of the range officer.
- In the event of a jam, misfire, or malfunction, the shooter will ensure that his firearm remains pointed downrange, and notify the range officer immediately.
- Any shooter discovering their firearm to be defective during a course of fire must notify the range officer immediately.
- ANYONE may call a cease fire if they observe an unsafe practice or situation. On the cease fire command, ALL shooting must cease immediately- All firearms will be unloaded with the action left open- All firearms will be pointed DOWNRANGE.
- Black powder and other special or exclusive events may be scheduled by the executive on request.
- Only 60 seconds after a black powder misfire or hangfire may a request be made to re-prime. A subsequent misfire of the same load will result in the firearm being declared defective and the range officer will order that it be removed from the range.
- Black powder shooters may only bring sufficient powder to the range for the day’s shooting. Large containers and glass containers of powder are prohibited. Spilled powder must be cleaned up immediately to the satisfaction of the range officer.
- When a shooter has finished shooting they will remain at their designated position on the firing line until the line is declared inactive and safe by the range officer.
- When organized shoots are held such as IDPA or IPSC , their rules and range procedures shall be followed for the duration of the match.
- Handguns must be carried muzzle down with the slide open and magazine removed or with the cylinder in an open position so that all can see without effort that the firearm is unloaded and safe. Handguns can also be carried on the handgun range in a holster, when proved safe and in an unloaded condition. Handguns can only be loaded while holstered when the shooter is actively engaged in shooting on a firing line.
- At all times, safety procedures set out and approved by the Canadian Firearms Institute shall be followed. It is the responsibility of each and every user of the range to ensure that such safety procedures are followed at all times by all users of the range.
- The range officer will be responsible to ensure that the range log book is properly completed.
- The range officer must ensure that the range is left in a neat and tidy condition at the end of shooting.
- All unusual incidents and/or injuries, however minor, MUST be reported in writing to the club executive as soon as possible.
- Failure to comply with any of the foregoing rules or procedures may result in dismissal from the club.
CLUB & SHOTGUN RANGE RULES
- Firearms must be unloaded with actions open at all times when not in use.
- New shooters must show a competence of Firearms Handling.
- Proper vision and hearing protection are mandatory.
- Target loads of 7 ½ or smaller only. Field loads are prohibited.
- Shooters – Visitors must remain aware of each others movements around ranges.
- Ensure that Range Open or Closed sign is set to Range in use when Range is active.
- Raise the red flag on the range when the range is active.
- Never assume area beyond firing range is clear. MAKE SURE!
- All shooters – visitors must register upon arrival.
- 10 Commandments of firearms Safety must be strictly adhered to.
- If you are unsure, ASK. Range Officers are available to help.
- Safety is EVERYONE’S RESPONSIBILITY!!!!
Please contact the club at Rockcut Shooting Club Contact email address.